Newest Message: RE: RE: Old Boro gate has gone up now by Cynic on 27/5/2017, 14:10:44 - View Thread

Thread: 89076

Six playoff places in Conference and Conf North/South by Malton Seadog User: Malton Seadog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 16:25:04, 459 views.

The top seven sides in the Conf and Conf North/South will have the potential to go up from next season.

Qualifying Round:

4th v 7th
5th v 6th

Semi-Final:

2nd v 4th/7th
3rd v 5th/6th

Final:

2nd/3rd v 4th/5th/6th/7th

All ties will be single legged, and the final will now be at the club ground, and not Wembley.

From website:

“He confirmed: “Under the new format, all playoff matches will be played over a single leg in a qualifying round, semi final and promotion final.

“The club finishing 2nd and 3rd will automatically proceed to a semi final at their home ground.

“The clubs in 4th and 5th will stage qualifying round ties against the teams finishing 7th and 6th.

“The winners of those matches will then complete the semi final line up.

“The format involves the same amount of matches as now. With six clubs competing, it will increase the interest levels.

“The same format will also apply in the North and South completions with finals being played at a club ground.”

• IP Address: 82.43.217.44

The problem/potential with this idea by Malton Seadog User: Malton Seadog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 16:27:55, 88 views. In reply to 'Six playoff places in Conference and Conf North/South'

This season, Tranmere (2nd) finished 20pts above Barrow (7th). Ebbsfleet (2nd) finished 27pts above Hampton and Richmond (7th).

Is it fair that a team finishing 27pts behind should potentially go up? Or is it a good thing which will keep the division open?

If we’d had it in our division, we would have had qualifiers of:

Ossett Town v Clitheroe
Colne v Trafford

And then semi-final of:

Farsley v Ossett/Clitheroe
BORO v Colne/Trafford

I’m all for it…. by willesden seadog User: willesden seadog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 16:33:47, 62 views. In reply to 'The problem/potential with this idea'

I love meaningful football. Everyone knows the rules before the season kicks off. The teams finishing higher have home advantage. If it keeps fans of teams up to 15th place interested in promotion in the depth of winter, then that has to be a good thing?

I get onto the play-off discussions quite a lot with fans of many Step 3/4 clubs. Most are fully in favour. A good idea I heard was that to reward the team finishing higher, they should go through on each occasion if the score is level after extra time; thus getting rid of the penalty shoot out lottery. Pens seem a rotten way to decide a clubs fortunes after 42 games?

• IP Address: 82.13.104.210

How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team? by Malton Seadog User: Malton Seadog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 16:48:13, 75 views. In reply to 'I’m all for it….'

I’ve always been a fan of those games.

So for example, if we move to a 3-up 3-down model for the sake of this post, the top team goes up automatically, and 3rd-8th could play off for the third spot. The bottom two in the league above go down, but the 3rd bottom side plays the 2nd-placed side in the league below to decide who stays up/goes down/goes up.

To clarify, using our league as an example (and discounting North/South considerations and the fact 4 go down at the moment from NPLP):

Bottom 3 of NPL Prem:

———————-
20. Frickley
———————–
21. Ilkeston
22. Skelmersdale

Top 8 of our league:

1. Lancaster
——————–
2. Farsley
——————–
3. BORO
4. Ossett
5. Colne
6. Trafford
7. Clitheroe
8. Glossop

Ilkeston and Skem down automatically, Lancaster up automatically. Farsley play Frickley in a one off match. If Frickley win, they stay up and Farsley stay down. If Farsley win, they go up and Frickley go down. 3rd-8th (Boro to Glossop) play out the playoffs as mentioned earlier in the thread. Adds so much excitement late in the season (if you can get your head around it!)

Edited on 17/05/17 at 16:49:03

RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team? by ka114 User: ka114

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 18:47:22, 56 views. In reply to 'How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team?'

Or how about one extra promotion place and leave the play offs as they are? How low down the table do you want to end up offering a chance of promotion? Everyone has the same chance from day one of the season. It could end up farcical if 8th gets promoted and they finished twenty to thirty points behind third, what next extend it to tenth, twelfth? Sorry but I think it’s a joke, promotion is something earned through a season, not a cup in its own right to be played post season.

• IP Address: 90.200.74.249

RE: RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team? by Malton Seadog User: Malton Seadog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 19:04:52, 49 views. In reply to 'RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team?'

I get what you’re saying, but this season there were 4pts seperating us in 3rd and Glossop in 8th. I think if you have a qualifying round for the playoffs, it makes it fair. Glossop, finishing 8th, would have to win 3 matches (qual, semi, and final) to go up, whereas us in 3rd would only have to win two.

I think at our level and below, it’s a great way of keeping the crowds coming in. For the likes of Bamber, Kendal, and Droylsden in mid-table, their seasons were done by the end of Feb/start of March, but if they could be scrapping around for points to make 8th, it would keep things alive a bit longer.

I see both points of view, and it’s not so different from the Premier League, where 7th gets you qualification to Europe.

Edited on 17/05/17 at 19:06:03

RE: RE: RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team? by ka114 User: ka114

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 19:13:32, 52 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team?'

Fair enough this season there was three points separating 3rd and 8th, but what of other seasons? I can get your point of trying to keep fans interested and coming through the gates but how long before there are calls for play offs further down the table?
As for the premier league, I maybe old fashioned but I would go back to European competition as it used to be, champions in the European cup, cup winners into the cup winners cup, and second and third in the eufa cup. Liverpool won the European cup in 2005, they haven’t won the league since 1991! But of course it’s all about money now so will never go back to how it was.

• IP Address: 90.200.74.249

Incidentally… by Malton Seadog User: Malton Seadog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 19:51:51, 61 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team?'

If playoffs had been down to 8th position in all leagues since we reformed, we would have at least made the playoffs or gone up in eight of our ten seasons! Only in 2010/11 (10th in NCEL Premier) and last season (20th in Evo-Stik North) have we finished outside the top seven of our division.

RE: How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team? by beckywitch User: beckywitch

Posted: 18/5/2017 at 12:10:19, 38 views. In reply to 'How about a German style promotion playoff v higher team?'

I was just wondering, though. Wouldn’t this way make it harder for Farsley at 2nd to go up than the team’s below them in the play offs? They would be playing a team from the higher league rather than teams, most of whom they have probably beaten already in the league.

beckywitch

• IP Address: 90.200.75.124

sounds very interesting by Villager

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 16:42:43, 72 views. In reply to 'The problem/potential with this idea'

It will give more hope to those clubs not awash with cash , I can see the point about the differential in points but then most people didn’t vote Tory in the last election and they triumphed .

• IP Address: 94.195.242.55

RE: sounds very interesting by BaronMDK User: BaronMDK

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 22:32:23, 72 views. In reply to 'sounds very interesting '

The problem with extending play offs so low is how is a team that finished 8th supposed to compete in the league above? I get at this level a club could dump all it’s players and start again but is that likely.
The best teams only should go forward. Seasons like this one where 4 points is the difference will not be the norm. Last season we or the teams below us would not have been near the play offs with this total.

I love play offs but the bar should not be set so low that a team that was tens of points off the pace can go up via a bit of luck

And comparing it to “not everyone voted tories" is stupid. They won the league, they won the most points in the most “games" and totaled the most points. If you bring the boundaries into consideration they also did this with a points deduction.

• IP Address: 86.151.164.199

RE: RE: sounds very interesting by Armchairdog User: Armchairdog

Posted: 17/5/2017 at 23:47:04, 67 views. In reply to 'RE: sounds very interesting '

The IPL Cricket League has an interesting format which I’ve not seen in any football. At the end of the season the matches are as follows:

Match A: 1st v 2nd - winner goes through to final, loser plays winner of Match B
Match B: 3rd v 4th - winner faces loser of Match A
Match C: Loser of Match A v Winner of Match B - winner goes through to final
Grand Final: Winner of Match A v Winner of Match C

You could apply this format to a football play-off for teams finishing, say, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. The advantage of this system is that it gives the two higher placed teams two bites of the cherry.

• IP Address: 176.24.150.212

RE: RE: RE: sounds very interesting by beckywitch User: beckywitch

Posted: 18/5/2017 at 12:13:09, 46 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: sounds very interesting '

That sounds a bit like the curling in the world championships although not in the Olympics where they have “normal" semis and then a final

beckywitch

• IP Address: 90.200.75.124

Newer Thread: Old Boro gate has gone up now

Older Thread: You’re gonna love this one (TSN)

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.