Newest Message: ooh by seadog365 on 15/10/2018, 13:33:12 - View Thread

Don’t read The Mirror by Old Git

Posted: 11/10/2018 at 14:45:43, 63 views. In reply to 'RE: along with The Scotsman'

But we still need a proper Press even though online dominates.

I read online news from around the UK, dozens of sites on a daily basis
but they all suffer from burn-out eventually, and some are a joke, claiming to represent a city
or region when they just lift reports and articles from other sites and little from the area
they purport to cover. Advertising dominates and is increasing so online sites are just full of
‘reality TV & soaps’ promoted as news.
This kills community news, a cornerstone of local democracy.
Areas of society are completely ignored, not reported about and not promoted
so a vacuum develops that leaves people without the ability to express themselves,
develop an opinon or contribute to society. All the benefits provided by a good local news service.
Ignorance is the biggest enemy of democracy.
I used to work for Reuters so I know how important news & information is
and without it how individuals & groups can become isolated, disenfranchised and alienated from life.
Maybe Athletic should buy the rights to the name ‘Scarborough Evening News’ as we are a ‘community’ organisation.

Anyway 3 points on Saturday will be bloody useful and I know I’ll get that important news.

• IP Address: 146.66.45.25

Newer Thread: Golden gamble was it claimed?.

Older Thread: Lemon Chrome Yellow 501

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.