Newest Message: rxpfajjx by on 18/6/2018, 04:19:01 - View Thread

Name
Email
Title
RIP Boro legend John Powell by Old Git

11/1/2018, 223 views.

who died on Christmas Day, aged 81.
see full story on offical Site

Just add my own bit cos John was one of footballing heroes when I was a kid.
Along with the side that included Eddy Brown and Alan Franks.
Winning the North East League & Cup Double in 1962-63 my favourite all time Scarborough side,
scoring goals for fun and having a good F.A. cup run before losing to Crewe after a replay.
The rest of that side included Tommy McQaid, Billy Mordue, Terry Wood, Jim McCusker,
Derek Boyes, Owen Laffey, Cliff Jones, Barry Dunn and Peter Whyke. The season ended with a 5-1 thrashing of newly
crowned Midland League Champions Loughborough United in an end of season friendly.
Because of the horrendous winter weather that season Boro only played 31 matches but scored 100 goals
in the two leagues season, with much of the same team Boro joined the Midland League and scored 107 goals in 42 league games, with Johhny Powell getting his fair share.
That was the season that saw us beat Stamford 11-0, although their keeper got injured in the first half and there was no subs allowed then, and it was bloody cold cos I can remember clinging to the hot pipe that ran up the back of the old main stand to keep warm at half time. (The last match of the season was away at Stamford and it ended 2-2 when 11 played 11.)
A few weeks after beating Stamford, Boro thrashed Retford 8-0 with John Powell getting a hat-trick.
No doubt there’ll be a few more on here who remember Johnnny Powell as I seem to remember a couple of young mascots from those days who’ll be in their early twenties just about now.

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.