Newest Message: RE: RE: re Help by Patto_89 on 18/6/2019, 21:08:56 - View Thread

Thread: 92442

Changeover of playing staff by Burniston User: Burniston

Posted: 22/5/2019 at 23:28:55, 218 views.

I’ve had a bit of a think about this recently. How many people actually thought we were good enough to be promoted last season? Even when we were top I had my concerns about how we would compete in the league above. Don’t get me wrong I thought the squad did really well considering we were in the league below, the previous season. Overall I will count last season as a success and massively thank all the players for their part. We all tend to get attached to players and I am no exception but for the club to grow it is almost inevitable that some players will become victims of their, and the club’s, success as we move up the leagues (hopefully and in good time). JD has a proven record at this level of getting promotions & we should all give him our full backing because he obviously knows what standard of player we need to win this league which I feel is quite tough. Points wise we were well below the top two and so a major rethink would be required to bridge that gap. Boro has had one heck of a journey since NCEL div 1 and the players we started with - we should see it as progressive evolution and I for one thank greatly all those who contributed not just last year but for the past 12 years to get us to where we are now. Really looking forward to next season.

PMA

• IP Address: 95.146.129.111

Re: changeover of playing staff by Tommy Wooton

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 07:07:56, 206 views. In reply to 'Changeover of playing staff'

I agree totally with your post Burniston. However, with regard to changeover of players, I was disappointed at a couple of departures and also a bit surprised that, considering throughout the season, supporters on all platforms have commented on our defensive frailties, errors and even culpabilities for losses on some occasions, that basically, with the exception of Killock and Williamson, they all remain.

• IP Address: 2a02:c7f:5e33:5200:1

Defensive frailties …. by Cynic Al

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 15:12:22, 171 views. In reply to 'Re: changeover of playing staff'

You said that ‘they all remain’ except two.

I cannot remember, and you may be able to correct me, a statement saying that Gooda and/or Burgess are intending to play for us next year. Neither were in the ‘contracted’ list that included Coulo, Tommy, Johnson, Brooksbythat was released earlier (as far as I remember).

I guess that those players who have already left were a ‘not required’ and the remaining players (I think you could include Watson and McNaughton here) might still be talking to/negotiating with us and/or other clubs.

I can’t remember a statement confirming Merris’ status next season. Is he a coach, player/coach or player ?

I believe that JD has had small(ish) squads when he has managed at this level before. I think the stat I was quoted was that when he won the league at Farsley he had a squad of 18 at the beginning of the season. Of the 18, 15 were still with the club at the end of that season. Maybe he got lucky, or maybe that’s his MO. He does seem to be making decisions about the squad rather than letting it ‘drift on’ and players get frustrated and leave.

• IP Address: 37.72.113.170

Re: Defensive Frailties by Tommy Wooton

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 16:09:58, 176 views. In reply to 'Defensive frailties ….'

Perhaps it was my misinterpretation of the 7 on the released list - I assumed that the list was finite in terms of who JD didn’t want. I accept that some others may leave of their own volition because they’ve had better offers elsewhere, but my assumption was that the 7 had been released to make way for the new players to join those who had not been place on the released list to make up the squad for next season.

• IP Address: 2a02:c7f:5e33:5200:1

RE: Re: Defensive Frailties by Rockett Fuel User: Rockett Fuel

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 22:20:07, 170 views. In reply to 'Re: Defensive Frailties'

We’ve signed eight new players thus far, four of whom are defenders (plus a utility player) - surely that’s a sign that the manager thinks it’s an area that needed strengthening?

*Evo-Stik Division 1 North Runners-Up 2017-18* *NCEL Premier Division Champions 2012-13* *NCEL Division 1 Champions 2008-09*

• IP Address: 86.178.195.139

RE: Changeover of playing staff by Geoff Hooley

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 16:22:21, 183 views. In reply to 'Changeover of playing staff'

It’s funny your post on position.when I posted the team was,nt good enough ,I was ridiculed.after saying we would finish 12th or there abouts..

• IP Address: 2a00:23c4:7487:d300:

RE: RE: Changeover of playing staff by Burniston User: Burniston

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 17:31:51, 187 views. In reply to 'RE: Changeover of playing staff'

Whilst not particularly agreeing with some of your posts Geoff I don’t recall ridiculing them myself. If I had a motto it would be to keep a positive mental attitude and that is why I don’t like players being personally shot down on here even though I might agree with some of the sentiments posted on here at times - I try to keep them to myself and that includes pitch-side. We really should have finished at least 7th but for an inexplicable TT venture at South Shields so 12th was a bit doom and gloom really and we were much better than that. As our final position proved, you were correct by saying the team wasn’t good enough but it is best to grow slowly and steadily and don’t forget, the team was good enough to get us to the highest ever league position in the club’s history and win a cup final that we have never won before.

PMA

• IP Address: 95.144.21.5

RE: RE: RE: Changeover of playing staff by Geoff Hooley

Posted: 23/5/2019 at 19:50:23, 173 views. In reply to 'RE: RE: Changeover of playing staff'

My post was,by aimed at you mate. My motto is the players have to take the good with the bad .the team where good ,but not good enough ,new manager as realised that ,just hope he as,nt gone over board with contracts ,think that was kt s downfall.it will be interesting me thinks😇

• IP Address: 2a00:23c4:7487:d300:

Newer Thread: Burgess joins Marske. Twitter. n/t.

Older Thread: Tadborough

© Surfing Seadog. All Rights Reserved. Site design and development: Steve Smith

Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster, and not of the site administrators,scarborough athletic football club or the seadog trust unless otherwise stated.